Responding to the Opioid Crisis: Utilizing Valuable Tools
Description: This presentation focuses on the current opioid crisis within Minnesota and the Arrowhead region specifically. The most current opioid overdose death data and trends will be examined; as well as public health and medical initiatives in the area aimed to reduce these numbers. An introduction to the medications used as tools in responding to the opioid crisis- naloxone, Suboxone and methadone- will be included. Their use, misuse, and implications on additional medical care will be discussed.
- Discuss the impact and trends of the opioid crisis in the Arrowhead region and Minnesota in general.
- Differentiate the mechanisms of action for naloxone, Suboxone, and methadone.
- Explain how each of these medications can be used to treat opioid use disorder.
- Describe the implications these medications may have on additional medical care of patients.
- Review current public health resources and initiatives that strive to reduce the impact of the opioid crisis.